Thursday, August 03, 2006

More on Fat

I have been feeling a little guilty that in my glibness about the book, French Women Don’t Get Fat, I didn’t really do it justice. My sister Donna more accurately summed up the book’s message in her comment to the posting when she said “It’s the quality over quantity philosophy.” Donna is not unlike those petite French women, so she gets it. I, on the other hand, tried living like a French woman for a few days when I was reading the book, and I found myself declaring to Marty, while furiously stuffing food down my gullet, that “I am not a damn French woman.” Needless to say, quantity still holds power over me.

In the spirit of détente, I offer you this recipe from French Women Don’t Get Fat. It’s very simple, nonfat and very yummy. My nephew, who apparently channels French women, already knew this secret. Perhaps I am the last to know?

Grilled Pineapple
4 1.5 inch-thick slices of pineapple (Marty, our resident fruit aficionado, swears by Golden Pineapples, “They’re well worth the few extra bucks.”)
Juice of 2 lemons
2 teaspoons honey
Freshly ground pepper (if it’s not freshly ground, don’t bother)

Make crisscross slashes with a knife on each slide of pineapple to get a nice presentation after grilling. Broil until the pineapple turns a nice caramel color, but be careful not to burn.
In a small saucepan, boil the lemon juice and honey for 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool, add pepper to taste, and drizzle over the pineapple slices. Serve immediately as is or with a scoop of verbena ice cream. (Who has ever heard of verbena ice cream? Is it some kind of herbal ice cream so you feel virtuous while you chow down a week’s worth of the daily recommended allowance of saturated fat? Perhaps it is a French woman's secret? Marty and I will sacrifice ourselves and do a French ice cream investigation for you. Stay tuned...)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This recipe sounds like the perfect one for a family trial. As you know, a family event is upcoming. I'll look for the verbena ice cream, although I don't think it's one of Ben and Jerry's flavors.
On to another topic. What are HTML tags and why would anyone want to use them?

5:24 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Nancy said...

You can use HTML tags to control how your text looks (for example, text can appear bold, italics, as a link, etc.). Below is an explanation from:
http://www.positionmasters.com/
positioning/definitions.html#def16

Hypertext Markup Language tags are part of the language that powers web pages and delivers instruction to your web browser to display the page information in more than just plain text. example: Position Masters (turns text into bold).

If you want to see how to use the commands, go to the web site noted above and look up HTML tags.

11:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home